Ottmar Liebert's Fanmencos @ OLnet

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Ottmar Liebert + Luna Negra, Celebrity Theater August 9, 2006

Well, as you can see here, the cats out of the bag. Under normal circumstances, just seeing Ottmar perform is a huge high point for me. Getting to spend some time with him adds to the experience more than I have the ability to explain.

After meeting the crew (yes, Jon Gagan is as cool as you think he is) and hanging out for a while, I headed back home so they could get ready for the show. A few hours later I was back at the venue. A friend from work who had never seen Ottmar live before had decided to attend (this could have been peer pressure). I caught sight of my neighbor from down the street as well.

The Celebrity Theater continues to be one of my favorite venues. The sound is good and the atmosphere pleasant. Wednesday’s show was no exception. The latest incarnation of Luna Negra includes Stephen Duros on rhythm guitar and soft synths, Dave Bryant on percussion, and of course, everyone’s favorite bass engine Jon Gagan who also lends his skill to the “hard synths”.

I’m not sure if it was just me but I never knew where to keep my focus. All four of these guys are having so much fun playing, you don’t know who’s going to do what next. This is my first time seeing Dave Bryant’s percussion and he does not disappoint. The crowd loved him. Stephen’s playing is a fantastic compliment to Ottmar’s. Before the show, the house music was a blend of Stephen’s new CD as well as Jon’s. Both are great but I’m really looking forward to putting in some serious listening time on Mr. Duros’ latest project.

Early in the set I was surprised by a new twist during Santa Fe. After most of the familiar sounds of this song had been played, Ottmar then reached for his electric guitar. This was so cool! After the show, he said that this was something new they started in Australia, as were some of the new bass changes on a few other pieces. What a great addition. The tone of the electric guitar seemed even better than it has before. I forgot to ask if he made some change there. I think it’s time for an electric guitar album. Stephen can play acoustic rhythm guitar and let Ottmar loose with the electric.

The start of the second half of the show begins with This Spring Release 10,000 Butterflies from the One Guitar CD. Ottmar plays this alone on stage and is then joined by the rest of the guys. It was great reminder of his solo shows. Those on the east coast of the US should watch for the upcoming dates. These shows are not to be missed. The intro to Duende de Amor is a fantastic new buleria, which should appear on next years release Up Close. Food for a buleria junkie to be certain.

As always, the show passed by too quickly. Before I knew it, the crowd had all left and I watched as the crew handled the tear down. From there I witnessed the now infamous “Fake Segway” episode. They had the nerve to put training wheels on the thing. After another chat while watching the trailer get loaded, it was time for the day to end. I would have loved to hitch a ride on the bus for the rest of the tour. Who knows, maybe sometime I’ll have the chance.

6 Comments:

  • Wonderful report + fantastic that you put it here as well! I've decided to comment here to not let it remain unnoticed.

    It seems that all your wishes come true after a while + I'm glad that I don't need to have a bad conscience anymore for jealousy I caused with my November visit on the East Coast during which in fact I would have been happy to have others around as well. So many remarkable things have happened in the meantime!

    Thank you especially for being one of the few sharing your personal experiences and as well for talking about some of the music. You make me crazy with your description about the tune that might be called "Up Close". I remember that "Duende" opened as well in a different/new version during the Holiday Tour, it must have improved since then. And I dare say that I would love to see and listen to "Butterflies" as the opener of the second part. Maybe Ottmar puts it in the LL or at iTunes one day.......

    One thing I can relate to is having seen Davo live and I wrote back then how smashing it was. At the end of the Westhampton show I was standing in the back of the theatre shouting "Davo!" 2-3 times, people around me stared at me but I had the impression (!) that Dave waved in our direction in the end, and, as always, fantasy + imagination can carry you over a lot of things/moments....

    By Blogger Borya, at 7:36 AM  

  • Matt, sounds like a perfect day! You're right, there was just so much going on with this performace... a lot of great surprises even for those who have seen other versions of Luna Negra. Ottmar's electric guitar was definitely fun! But then he gave us a taste of the solo show too, like you mentioned. Just an all around good show!

    By Blogger Victor, at 12:48 PM  

  • Yeah, Matt, I have to agree with Boris, that sounds (obviously) fantastic!! I'm not sure what must have been more exciting, coffee+chat with Ottmar or all the cool new music you heard at the show :) Oh, and then I'm not sure which show sounds like it was more fun, the solo show or the new Luna Negra show! What choices, hehe. It's always been lots of fun to watch Ottmar combine his rhythm and solo guitar into one piece, but removing the need for that by putting Stephen in has to open him up to so many new possibilities (like in the Winter show in Duende del Amor and Heart Still/Beating when Ottmar played the rhythm and the strings played the melody!).

    And as Boris said, seeing Davo live is a great experience, isn't it? I think the people in Westhampton gave us really weird looks when we kept shouting out "Davo!" during Duende del Amor and Barcelona Nights :D Sounds like the perfect experience!!

    By Blogger Adam Solomon, at 12:52 PM  

  • Cool! How wonderful to notice the difference in guitars, etc...for me, it all becomes a sea of sound, like diving into a pool on a hot summer day and swimming underwater.

    I am getting a group together for the early December show near DC. An investment club I've belonged to for years recently dissolved because we lost some members and everyone else just got too busy with other stuff. A lot of members were sad that we might never see each other again. I suggested we still get together but just not monthly, and our first outing will be to the OL solo show. It will be a fun evening all around!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:43 PM  

  • Wow Matt--sounds like you got the "unofficial Golden Ticket" for Ottmar's performance @ the Celebrity Theater!

    By Blogger Luz, at 9:43 AM  

  • Wonderful. You're right, this is an impressive incarnation of Luna Negra!Great impressions of the show you gave. Thanks Matt.

    By Blogger mario, at 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home