Ottmar Liebert's Fanmencos @ OLnet

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Winter Rose - First Impressions

Music: Ottmar Liebert - Bells/Coda: Christmas Eve At Friar Fripp's (Winter Rose - Music Inspired by the Holidays)

This is no Christmas + Santa Fe. That album has been enshrined for me as one of Ottmar's most joyous works and one that I don't think I'll ever tire of, even on the longest summer day. From the very beginning of "Pavane" this album was evidently going to be different. It's much more laid back. Wasn't it meant to be something like an Opium Christmas? Well, I can definitely see the aspects of Dreaming in there, although of course it's also got a distinct hint of La Semana--it's actually very La Semana in the much more obvious ways, such as the fact that the rhythm guitar for "O Little Town Of Bethlehem/City Of Tijuana" is taken straight from "Evening (Languid Pace)", as with (as you probably all have known for a while) "Le Café" and "Cocteau".

My grandfather just walked in--he's in from Israel right now. He caught the end of "A Sweet Persimmon"--was very impressed.

And best of all, there's a whole track called "Kora". Score.

This isn't the album you'll play at your annual Christmas party. That's still a job for Christmas + Santa Fe, because that is most of all Ottmar's celebratory holiday album. This is the album

By the way, has anyone else actually went and bought this CD? I'm surprised, I've only heard of one other 'Menco who's got this, and that person just got it in the Lounge...Very little fanfare at all, even post-release.

EDIT: One last thing..."Le Café (Dream of Snow)" ends this album so...perfectly.

9 Comments:

  • You're right...this is not your usual Christmas CD. I'm loving what I hear. Amazing!

    By Blogger Luz, at 12:47 AM  

  • Despite my inital hesitation regarding downloading songs, I realize that Ottmar has gone to much effort to create the Listening Lounge and if he feels that this is a viable way to present his music, who am I to argue. Besides, it meant I did not have to wait for mail delivery!

    The whole CD is amazing (of course). I am particularly enraptured with Le Café (Arabian Dance). The opening strains are magical: a vaguely familiar piece that now has new meaning.

    Is that a "mind bell" I hear? And the guitar rhythm of "Cocteau" (as Adam mentioned). Definitely Ottmar's signature appears as hints throughout all the pieces.

    **Sigh** Words are useless...you have to just listen.

    By Blogger Just Me, at 10:31 AM  

  • Hmm. Will be interesting to hear Ottmar speaking about it but "Le Cafe" was around before "Cocteau". Or not? I mean, the Arabian Dance was in the former Lounge in December 2003, about that time Ottmar must have composed and recorded Cocteau. They are very similar in atmosphere of course. Le Cafe was "the" song I listened to when being in Spain in 2004. Although the original compositions is from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, Le Cafe is an all-year-tune to me.

    By Blogger Borya, at 1:31 PM  

  • Ahhh, thanks, Boris: The Nutcracker. I should have remembered.

    By Blogger Just Me, at 9:26 AM  

  • It's very cool how Cocteau and Le Cafe (Arabian Dance) share the same rhythm guitars and how the guitar parts are also available separately for download. I must have heard The Nutcracker hundreds of times but I never would have associated the rhythm guitars with the Arabian Dance - I love nice little surprises like that. Also I'm enjoying the ease and convenience of music downloads...very tempted to get an iPod nano...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 PM  

  • I'd not recommend a Nano. Too expensive, doesn't hold so much music. It only holds 1000 songs if they're low quality...e-mail me if you'd like to discuss MP3 players ;)

    By Blogger Adam Solomon, at 10:32 PM  

  • It's nice to be able to listen to the songs but I'm waiting for the CD to arrive. I've printed out the artwork in black and white of course but something's missing. I burned a CD on which I scribbled "Winter Rose" and I detest myself everytime looking at my handwriting and at that CD with no cover on. It's just like that.

    By Blogger Borya, at 4:32 AM  

  • Thanks Adam. I probably won't buy an mp3 player until they drop below $100. I don't have much time to listen to music for extended periods of time anyhow. But the nano is so cool-looking...

    Borya, yes, burning music on a CD is something to get used to. A "paradigm shift," to paraphrase an overused phrase from a few years ago. For holiday presents I'll definitely buy the CD.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:34 AM  

  • This CD will definitely be on my list of Christmas gifts to buy for friends and family. Like you, Boris--I too am looking to buy the CD and have it in my hands. It's a must have to add to my Ottmar collection.

    By Blogger Luz, at 11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home